Thursday, April 4, 2013

What I Miss From Home... What I Love About the Phils...

What I Miss From "Home" (Being a missionary kid, I'm not alway sure of where home is, but  I'm referring to Colorado in this case):

  • Friends and family
  • Traffic rules being followed
  • Cooler and less humid weather
  • Drinkable running water
  • The speed and convenience of life 
  • Friends' weddings and engagements
  • Understanding language and culture (for the most part)
  • Not being the new kid (I don't feel this way anymore, but it became a bit exhausting to be on such a steep learning curve for the first few months)
  • My mom's cooking
  • Cheese and nuts! (They are very expensive here)
  • Fresh milk 
  • The clean air in CO (let's just say there is quite a bit of smog in Manila)
  • Walmart
  • Redbox
  • Pandora

What I Love About the Philippines:
  • Faith Academy and its staff and students
  • The warm culture and kind hospitality
  • The beauty ~ beaches, rice fields, people, mountains, volcanos, islands, fish, tree houses
  • The perspective many people have on life
  • People walking everywhere and catching public transportation
  • The low price tag on many things (well, mainly labor)
  • The opportunities and ministries 
  • The hearts of my students and their parents who work with the needy
  • Being able to help the needy all around (although I know there are many in need in the States, it is more visible here)
  • Filipinos being so willing to help ~ whether it is jump starting a car or jacking up a vehicle to pull it out of a drainage system.
  • People's door steps being literally on the road. 
  • The basketball games that take place on the road that have to pause every time a car drives up. These games are complete with uniforms and a referee.
  • Mangos and other tropical fruit
  • The diversity - the nice metropolitan areas to the informal settlements
  • (The geckos, cockroaches, mouse, spiders, and ANTS that happily share our home with us - I'm not sure how much I love these creatures)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kels, I'm loving the updates.
    Your post begs the question though:
    What do you miss about South Africa?

    ReplyDelete