Sunday, August 11, 2013

Back to Manila and Back to Teaching



It's back to Manila and back to teaching! This year has started off to a crazy, yet rewarding beginning.  After many of the teachers had gotten their classrooms decorated and set up, our principal decided that my 2nd grade class of 28 (with some more on the waiting list) needed to be split. This meant, moving a teacher from kinder to teach Gr 2 and shifting 3 classrooms. I was amazed by the attitude of my roommate, Nicole (a second year teacher) in being willing to change grade levels at such short notice (she will be my grade partner). The last two days before school started were a bit of a mad rush, but the community really stepped up and helped.


This change has left me with a class of 15 students. It was a little bit of a culture shock coming from my class of 27 rowdy 2nd graders last year, to this year's quiet, small class. Classroom management is a much calmer ball game this time around. I did have any kids running away on the first day of school this year (like last year). I do not have any kids with bottoms hanging out from cubbies (like last year). I do not have kids rubbing my legs and commenting on the texture (like last year).  This is definitely going to be a different year.  Even though my class is small, it is very diverse with students from N America, Europe, and Asia. I look forward to investing in these students and giving them far more one-on-one attention.  I know that God has something up His sleeve for this class this year. 




No comments:

Post a Comment