Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Life on Mulawan Street

Roommates
Along with a second year of teaching, it is also my second year of living in the Philippines.  I have three awesome girls as roommates and we live together in a fun, Filipino neighborhood. Two doors down is a 'sari sari store’, which is a neighborhood one-window convenient store.  We have quickly learned to love this store, especially when we realize we are out of eggs in the middle of baking.  We have very friendly neighbors and great neighborhood guards.  A few nights ago, I was privileged to fall asleep to some neighborhood karaoke music. This is not uncommon in many neighborhoods here. We also share our home with many cockroaches, which we could use one less encounter with. However, a feeling of true cleanliness and satisfaction washes over me with each cockroach terminated. 

Our local sari-sari store
Mulawan Street
Our home
We live near an intersection that is on pretty low ground; and so when the typhoons come, this area usually gets a bit flooded.  The rains haven’t been bad this year, until a typhoon began its path through the Philippines ~ giving us a typhoon day and a day off of school. Although a day off is nice, it's tough for people who have homes damaged or belongings destroyed.  A few days ago after a hard rain, I couldn't drive across the one major road between home and school. I attempted to pass through the flooded area hoping that the water was lower than it appeared; but when my engine began to make concerning noises, I decided to turn around.  After a few hours the Manila heat had done its job and the water had evaporated.  

I'm very excited for the school year and ministry ahead.  The Lord's plans are great!

No comments:

Post a Comment